Thursday, March 31, 2011

Redesign #4- Potato Shack Menu

For my 4th redesign, I decided to make a menu for the company Potato Shack. On their website, they have a link for a menu but nothing comes up. Here is a snap shot of what the menu now looks like:


It is very important for this company to have a menu up and running because they do deliver to people’s houses. This company started out in Huntsville and has expanded to College Station and Bryan, TX. It is mainly college students that go here, so the atmosphere is pretty laid-back. I had originally made a pretty basic menu because I just couldn’t come up with anything clever, but today in class, Felipe (thanks Felipe) gave me the idea to make the menu have the color scheme of a baked potato. So, in my redesign, I got an image of a potato skin and made that the border. Then, I used orange, red-brown, and green text to imitate cheese, bacon bits, and chives.



Perception- This color scheme gives the perception of a baked potato in a clever way. It is iconic for a baked potato to have cheese, bacon bits, and chives on them. This abstract way of displaying a baked potato makes the menu more interesting to look at and gives it a creative twist.

Contrast- I used a lot of different ways to contrast the menu.
To begin with, I made the “cheese” text for the description of each potato. This is the majority of the text because who doesn’t like a lot of cheese on their potato? Just kidding. I made this part the lighter color because it is not as important as the actual names of the potatoes. I also made the font 11pt to save some space and make the names stand out more.
The names of the potatoes are a red-brown color making them stand out more against the off-white background to signify their importance. I also bolded the names and kept them at a 12pt font to make them stand out more from the description.
I made the headers 30 pt and green to display the “chives” part. I think the bright green really pops out on the page and draws the eyes of the reader to them.

Repetition- Throughout the menu I used 2 fonts: Myriad Pro and Hobo. For the text, I used Myriad Pro because it is easy to read since it is a sans serif. For the headers, I used Hobo because I think it is kind of fun for the laid-back atmosphere.

Proximity- I separated the items into the groups: Potatoes, salads, sides, and drinks. I put space between each group to show that they are not related to each other. It was really hard keeping all of the potatoes on one page since they had so many. I decided to make them into columns and divide them with a line so that the descriptions wouldn’t run into each other. I made sure that the line was exactly in the middle of the document so that each side is equal.

Alignment- On the “Potatoes” page, I center aligned the header and left-aligned the body text. I made 2 columns because there wasn’t a lot of description and made the page have a lot of unnecessary white space. On the second page, I allowed the “Salads” section to have a bit more space because there was more to be described than the “Sides” section, and I didn’t want to put them on top of each other because there would be awkward white space on the right side. Under the “Drinks” section, I aligned the names of drinks with the beginning and end of the header.

1 comment:

  1. Very good design, Sarah. Much better than the original. The color scheme is a good one. Good idea from Felipe, and good follow-through from you. Perhaps some graphics if your audience includes a lot of young people. Perhaps avoiding centering titles. Good thinking regarding repetition and alignment, especially. You have some good ideas regarding perception--yes, it might make the page stick in the head of the viewers. You don't have much "white" space on the first page, and then too much white space on the second.

    ReplyDelete